I. Identify the problem:
- Unhealthy, uncomfortable environment for cows?
- Undesirable working conditions for the operators
- Poor integration of all systems - milking, feeding, housing, replacements, and wastes?
- Does not comply with applicable sanitary codes?
- Poor labor efficiency in terms of cows handled per hour and milk produced per man?
- Not Economical?
II. Identify the weak areas in facility management:
Review the Dairy Facility Checklist (PDF)
III. Develop a proposal for resolving the problem:
- Summarize the identified opportunity areas for change from the review checklist.
- Seek help to economically evaluate opportunity areas.
- Dairy Housing and Equipment Handbook, MWPS-7 (available from Midwest Plan Service)
- Livestock Waste Management, MWPS-18 (available from Midwest Plan Service)
- Waste Management Guidelines for Confined Feeding Operations