Drinking Water and Ground Water
The US Environmental Protection Agency has a Knowledge Base of reference documents on drinking water topics, with regular updates. Frequently asked questions are organized in more than a dozen categories, and you can submit new questions to EPA staff.
Topics include contaminants and standards, filters, home water treatment units, household wells, local drinking water quality and tap water testing.
- What are hazardous wastes?
- Can I avoid extensive government regulation of my hazardous wastes?
- How can I dispose of my hazardous wastes?
- Are there special collection programs for any hazardous wastes?
- How can I reduce my unwanted agricultural chemicals?
- What else can I do to avoid hazardous waste problems?
Livestock Feeding Operations
- When do I need an EPA permit?
- If I want to construct a new dairy or feedlot or expand my existing operation, how do I get the necessary approvals to proceed?
- What is the Idaho Dairy Initiative (Dairy Memo of Understanding - Dairy MOU)?
Septic Tanks and Septage
- What septic system options are available in Idaho?
- Do septic systems require any permits?
- How often should septic tanks be checked for pumping?
- Where can I dispose of septage?
- Is there a way to get all administrative agencies to work with me for the good of my operation?
- How long can I graze in a particular land area?
- What can I do about a wildlife depredation problem?
Total Maximum Daily Loads
- TMDL Overview
- What is a TMDL?
- What types of pollutants are at issue?
- Who is responsible for Watershed Management?
- Who writes the TMDL?
- What happens after the TMDL is complete?
- Whom do I contact for more information?
- What is a Basin Advisory Group (BAG)?
- What is a Watershed Advisory Group (WAG)?
- How do I know if a TMDL will be required in my area?
- How can a TMDL effect my operation?
- If I develop and implement an approved Conservation Plan for my operation before a TMDL is in place, will my Plan be honored?
- If I know a TMDL is required in my area, should I hold up my Conservation Planning until the TMDL is complete?
- If I have a Conservation Plan that addresses TMDL requirements in my watershed, can I get assistance in implementing my Plan?
- What is a Water Right?
- How is a water right established?
- What is the "priority date"?
- What does "beneficial use" mean?
- What are "domestic purposes"?
- Can a water right be changed?
- How do I get a water right? Do I need one?
- What is a claim?
Watershed Advisory Groups
- What is the role of the WAG in developing a TMDL?
- Who serves on a "typical" WAG?
- What is the time commitment?
- Do I need to be an expert to participate?
- What are Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs)?
- What are the key responsibilities of the WAG?
- How can we be assured that the advice of the WAG will make a difference?
- Who writes the TMDL? Who does the work?
- Where are the existing Wags?
- How do I know if I have wetlands?
- What should I do if I plan an activity in the wetlands area?
- Do I need a permit if I am planning an activity in an area which has been delineated as a wetland?
- How do I know which agency to contact concerning wetlands issue?
- Are Section 404 permits difficult to obtain?
- Why should wetlands be preserved or restored?