When do I need an EPA permit?

EPA permit requirements apply to concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). See the EPA Discharge Permit guide for more information.

If I want to construct a new dairy or feedlot or expand my existing operation, how do I get the necessary approvals to proceed?

This will vary depending on the county where you plan to locate; contact local officials.

What is the Idaho Dairy Initiative (Dairy Memo of Understanding - Dairy MOU)?

The Idaho Dairy MOU is an agreement between the Idaho Department of Agriculture (ISDA), Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), the EPA, and the Idaho Dairymen's Association. It provides a mechanism for the EPA and DEQ to shift the routine inspections of dairy waste facilities to ISDA.