The Idaho OnePlan Nutrient Management Planner is the only officially recognized planning tool for creating certified nutrient management plans in Idaho. The State of Idaho and the USDA offer the software and training for individuals to become Certified Nutrient Management Planners in Idaho.
A list of registered Technical Service Providers (TSPs) is available from the USDA.
Individuals wishing to register as TSPs and become certified to use the NMP must:
- Enroll in and take the NEDC Nutrient and Pest Management Considerations in Conservation Planning course.
- Enroll in and take the NMP software training. Contact [(208) 736-3049, fax 736-4780], State Nutrient Management Coordinator, at the Idaho State Department of Agriculture in Boise.
- Sign up to be a TSP at the NRCS Tech Regulation Site.
- Complete two trial nutrient management plans using the OnePlan NMP.
Upon successful completion, the applicant will become a Certified Nutrient Management Planner in the state of Idaho.
NMP Reference Documents and Links
- Waste Facility Construction Guidelines
- Fresh Water Needs for Dairy Farms
- Idaho Discharge Permit for Confined Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO), 1997 (PDF)
- Example Nutrient Management Plan, 1998 sample from the ISDA (19 pg. PDF)
- Idaho Waste Management Guidelines for Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs), 1993, amended 1997 (90 pg. PDF)
- Idaho Dairy Nutrient Management presentation to the 1999 ASAE Annual International Meeting (23 pg. PDF, includes the NRCS Conservation Practice Standard as an appendix)
- Guidelines to Prepare for your Nutrient Management Plan, 31 page PDF, 2001?
- Dairy Program Information index
- The Idaho Home Assessment System ("Home*A*Syst") provides worksheets on Animal Manure Storage and other topics to help you assess how effectively your homestead practices and structures protect your drinking water.
USDA / NRCS / EPA
- NRCS Environmental Engineering Tools and Documents index, including the
- NRCS Animal Waste Management Handbook, a 695 (!) page PDF
- EPA General Information on CAFOs
- Index to the EPA Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) - Final Rule (2002)
- Unified National Strategy for Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)
- USDA Agricultural Research Service Manure and Byproduct Utilization national program
University of Idaho
- College of Agriculture Resources for Idaho catalog for fertilizers and soils