Special Conditions for Approval
- An emergency situation exists and installation of a holding tank is
necessary to prevent a potential public health hazard.
- A management entity or arrangement to provide maintenance and
pumping of the tank by a licensed pumper must be approved the director
of DEQ. Such an entity or arrangement must be in operation at the time
the permit is issued.
- The tank may not be approved for new dwellings.
- The tank may not be approved for permanent, year round residences
except on a temporary basis to satisfy condition 1.
- The site may not be subject to flooding.
- Surface water must be excluded.
- The distance limitations of a standard trench can be met with the
- clay soils of all types are acceptable;
- impermeable layer restrictions are waived.
- The dwelling is not served by water under pressure or a standard
septic system could not otherwise be constructed.
- The pit should be abandoned when the sewage comes within 16
inches of the ground surface.
Portable Sanitation Units
- Permanent sewage disposal facilities are not available and their
installation is impractical.
- The event served is temporary — 1 year or less.
- The event is one in which the Occupational Safety and Health Agency
requires portable sanitation units.
- Units can be made freely available to users
Septic systems frequently asked questions